|Action||Unprofessional conduct - conversion therapy|
|Comment Period||Ends 8/7/2019|
Do not attempt to impose by regulatory fiat what the Virginia legislature has refused to impose by statute. Note the following, which should be obvious to you but apparently need to be restated:
• Parents are closes to their child's challenges; they are in the best position to make healthcare decisions involving the wellbeing of their child.
• Under Virginia law, parents have the fundamental right to make decisions regarding the upbringing, education and care of their children.
• Some young people may have attractions they desire to change or moderate. Others may simply desire guidance from a counselor to live a chaste life. In either instance, there should be options for families to make informed decisions.
• The proposed ban would deny families the freedom to seek counseling aligned with their faith.
• Licensed professionals with years of education and experience should not be removed from the process of helping children work through these sensitive and deeply personal issues.