18VAC85-20-90. Pharmacotherapy for weight loss.
A. A practitioner shall not prescribe amphetamine, Schedule II, for the purpose of weight reduction or control.
B. A practitioner shall not prescribe controlled substances, Schedules III through VI, for the purpose of weight reduction or control in the treatment of obesity, unless the following conditions are met:
1. An appropriate history and physical examination
, are performed
and recorded at the time of initiation of pharmacotherapy for obesity by the
prescribing physician, and the physician reviews the results of laboratory
work, as indicated, including testing for thyroid function;
2. If the drug to be prescribed could adversely affect cardiac function, the physician shall review the results of an electrocardiogram performed and interpreted within 90 days of initial prescribing for treatment of obesity;
3. A diet and exercise program for weight loss is prescribed and recorded;
4. The patient is seen within the first 30 days following initiation of pharmacotherapy for weight loss by the prescribing physician or a licensed practitioner with prescriptive authority working under the supervision of the prescribing physician, at which time a recording shall be made of blood pressure, pulse, and any other tests as may be necessary for monitoring potential adverse effects of drug therapy;
5. The treating physician shall direct the follow-up care,
including the intervals for patient visits and the continuation of or any
subsequent changes in pharmacotherapy. Continuation of prescribing for
treatment of obesity shall occur only if the patient has continued progress
toward achieving or maintaining a target weight
; and has no significant
adverse effects from the prescribed program.
C. If specifically authorized in his practice agreement with a supervising or collaborating physician, a physician assistant or nurse practitioner may perform the physical examination, review tests, and prescribe Schedules III through VI controlled substances for treatment of obesity, as specified in subsection B of this section.