|Action||Amend the Regulation after Assessment and Receipt of Public Comment|
|Comment Period||Ends 10/31/2018|
Strengthen Abortion Facility Regulations
I am deeply concerned by the Board's attempts to weaken regulations enacted in response to egregious practices by aborticide centers in Virginia. However I am very pleased that watchdog organizations have taken these attempts before the state courts to have them overturned. It is doubly concerning that you have (in all probability) broken the law in your attempts to give these killing centers free reign without credible oversight and I am confident the courts will act appropriately in dealing with this lawlessness:
- Reinstate all of the health and safety measures the Board unlawfully watered down during its last amendment process.
- Require all OLC inspections to verify that ultrasounds have been performed at least 24 hours prior to every abortion performed.
- Require annual inspections on abortion facilities instead of biennial.
- Remove the ability of the Commissioner to grant permanent variances.
- Reinstate the definition of "first trimester" as being the first twelve weeks from conception, not "13 weeks and 6 days after last menstrual period."
- Reinstate the ability of the department to deny, suspend, or revoke the license to operate an abortion facility for violating "any provision of Article 1 (§ 32.1-123 et seq.) of Chapter 5 of Title 32.1."
- Reinstate the requirement that abortion facilities provide information on post-abortion counseling to its patients.
- Reinstate the requirement that the abortion facility ensure that it has removed all of the fetal body parts from inside of the female patient upon the performance of an abortion.
- Reinstate the requirement that abortion facilities report to OLC any incidents reported to the malpractice insurance carrier.
- Reinstate the reasonable design and construction standards that provided for things such as hallways wide enough to carry patients out on stretchers in cases of emergency.