18VAC90-20-215. Provisional licensure of applicants for licensure as registered nurses.
A. Pursuant to § 54.1-3017.1 of the Code of Virginia, the board may issue a provisional license to an applicant for the purpose of meeting the 500 hours of supervised, direct (hands-on) client care required of an approved registered nurse education program.
B. Such applicants for provisional licensure shall submit:
1. A completed application for licensure by examination and fee;
2. Documentation that the applicant has successfully completed a nursing education program; and
3. Documentation of passage of NCLEX in accordance with 18VAC90-20-190.
C. Requirements for hours of [ supervised clinical experience in ] direct client care with a provisional license.
1. To qualify for licensure as a registered nurse, direct, hands-on hours of supervised clinical experience shall include the areas of adult medical/surgical nursing, geriatric nursing, maternal/infant (obstetrics, gynecology, neonatal) nursing, mental health/psychiatric nursing, nursing fundamentals, and pediatric nursing. Supervised clinical hours may be obtained in employment in the role of a registered nurse or without compensation for the purpose of meeting these requirements.
2. Hours of direct, hands-on clinical experience obtained as part of the applicant's nursing education program and noted on the official transcript shall be counted towards the minimum of 500 hours and in the applicable areas of clinical practice.
3. For applicants with a current, active license as an LPN, 150 hours of credit shall be counted towards the 500-hour requirement.
Up to ] 100 hours
of credit may be applied towards the 500-hour requirement for applicants who
have successfully completed a nursing education program that:
a. Requires students to pass competency-based assessments of nursing knowledge as well as a summative performance assessment of clinical competency that has been evaluated by the American Council on Education or any other board-approved organization; and
b. Has a passage rate for first-time test takers on the NCLEX that is not less than 80%, calculated on the cumulative results of the past four quarters of all graduates in each calendar year regardless of where the graduate is seeking licensure.
5. An applicant for licensure shall submit verification from a supervisor of the number of hours of direct client care and the areas in which clinical experiences in the role of a registered nurse were obtained.
D. Requirements for supervision of a provisional licensee.
1. The supervisor shall be on site and physically present in the unit where the provisional licensee is providing clinical care of clients.
2. In the supervision of provisional licensees in the clinical setting, the ratio shall not exceed two provisional licensees to one supervisor at any given time.
3. Licensed registered nurses providing supervision for a provisional licensee shall:
a. Notify the board of the intent to provide supervision for a provisional licensee on a form provided by the board;
b. Hold an active, unrestricted license or multistate licensure privilege and have at least two years of active clinical practice as a registered nurse prior to acting as a supervisor;
c. Be responsible and accountable for the assignment of clients and tasks based on their assessment and evaluation of the supervisee's clinical knowledge and skills;
d. Be required to monitor clinical performance and intervene if necessary for the safety and protection of the clients; and
e. Document on a form provided by the board the frequency and nature of the supervision of provisional licensees to verify completion of hours of clinical experience.
E. The provisional status of the licensee shall be disclosed to the client prior to treatment and shall be indicated on identification worn by the provisional licensee.
F. All provisional licenses shall expire six months from the date of issuance and may be renewed for an additional six months. Renewal of a provisional license beyond the limit of 12 months shall be for good cause shown and shall be approved by the board. A request for extension of a provisional license beyond 12 months shall be made at least 30 days prior to its expiration.
Verification of Supervised Clinical
Practice -- Registered Nurse Provisional License (undated) Notification of Intent to Supervise Clinical Practice --
Registered Nurse Provisional License (undated)