|Action||Promulgation of new regulation banning concealed firearms in executive branch agency offices|
|Comment Period||Ends 1/27/2016|
This regulation ENDANGERS EMPLOYEES who work in Offices Occupied by Executive Branch Agencies
Please OPPOSE these proposed regulations prohibiting law-abiding citizens with Concealed Carry Permits from carrying a concealed firearm in any Executive Office Buildings of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of some things wrong with this “emergency” regulation:
- There is no emergency. There have been no significant recently documented instances where this ban would have prevented any illegal firearm activity in the environs indicated.
- Gun free zones are dangerous. Gun Free Zones create hazardous working conditions for those who work there. When there is an incident perpetrated by a criminal with a firearm, more people die or are injured in “gun free zones” than in those places where firearms are encouraged and permitted.
- Disarming citizen-first-responders prevents them from helping their co-workers. The police took 4 minutes to respond to the San Bernardino Shooting of Dec 2, 2015.
- This regulation should go through the normal legislative process.
- The right to bear arms is a natural right highlighted by the U.S. Constitution and not a given right that can be taken away by a potentially tyrannical government.
- Concealed weapons permit holders include high risk individuals. This includes off-duty and retired law enforcement, survivors of domestic violence, individuals under witness protection, pastors who work to convert people from one faith to another, and others who have a higher need for continuous personal self-defense.
- Prohibiting concealed firearms will result in more injuries not less. This regulation creates dangerous zones of opportunity for the criminal who disregards regulations and laws, and who desires to do great harm.
- Please extend the comment period for an additional 30 days.