|Action||Promulgation of new regulation banning concealed firearms in executive branch agency offices|
|Comment Period||Ends 1/27/2016|
Don't deny Virginians their constitutional right to self defense
I believe that disarming the law abiding citizens of Virginia you are setting us all up for failure. Lets face facts, criminals DO NOT OBEY THE LAW! Making it harder for them to obtain guns will do no good, they will purchase or steal them illegally. As a wife and mother who is sometimes often alone because of my husbands work schedule I feel priveledged that I am able to educate myself on gun safety, own a conceal carry permit and am able to protect my daughter, myself and anyone else who would need it. To think that enacting another law is going to make us safer (when in fact its the complete opposite) is insane, have you looked at how full our jails and prisons are, obviously those laws arent working or the criminals would have obeyed them correct? Deny me my right to self defense and my family will find another state who will not violate the constitution and we will be moving there.
This proposed regulation will have the opposite of the intended effect by playing into the hands of terrorists, violent criminals, and the criminally insane. We have had no shootings in state agencies and this prohibition on those with a concealed handgun permit, some of whom have active and ongoing threats to their lives, is entirely without any justification and needlessly and recklessly endangers innocent lives.
Disarming good citizens (who are the only ones likely to obey the prohibition) does not make them safer.
Importantly the Governor has no authority for this regulation. If the General Assembly wanted the Governor to have such power, they would have granted it to him explicitly, as is required constitutionally.
This proposed regulation is a solution for which there is no problem. It endangers state employees, law abiding citizens, and the innocent by making state buildings a safe zone for terrorists, criminals, and the criminally insane to conduct their evil and savage actions.
This regulations should not be approved and the emergency regulation withdrawn.
Please extended the comment period for another 30 days.
* All but two of the public massacres since 1950 had been committed by criminals and terrorists in “gun-free zones,” which is exactly what this regulation creates
* Off-duty police officers are also prevented from carrying
* Bans in rest stops send a very uninviting message to, and endanger the lives of, interstate travelers
* The cost of providing additional security to protect everyone who has been disarmed by this regulation will be prohibitive
* The ban won’t hold up in court, due to lack of authority by the Governor
* If parking lots are included in the ban, then citizens will be disarmed to and from their residences and everywhere in between