|Action||Promulgation of new regulation banning concealed firearms in executive branch agency offices|
|Comment Period||Ends 1/27/2016|
The proposed regulation will have the opposite of the intended affect. It permits terrorists, violent criminals, and the criminally insane to "once again" break the law and harm innocent residents going about their daily routine. There have been no shootings in Virginia State Agencies and this prohibition on those with a concealed handgun permit, some of whom have active and ongoing threats to their lives, is entirely without any justification. It needlessly and recklessly endangers innocent lives. Disarming good citizens (who are the only ones who will obey the prohibition) does not make them safer. Where is the common sense in that?
* All but two of the public massacres since 1950 have been committed by criminals and terrorists in "gun-free zones," which is exactly what this regulation creates
* Off-duty police officers are also prevented from carrying
* Bans in rest stops send a very uninviting message to, and endanger the lives of, interstate travelers
* The cost of providing additional security to protect everyone who has been disarmed by this regulation will be prohibitive
* The ban will not hold up in court, due to lack of authority by the Governor
* If parking lots are included in the ban, then citizens will be disarmed to and from their residences and everywhere in between
Most importantly the Governor has no authority for this regulation. If the General Assembly wanted the Governor to have such power, they would have granted it to him explicitly, as is required constitutionally. This proposed regulation is a solution for which there is no problem. This regulation should not be approved and the emergency regulation withdrawn.
Please, extend the comment period for another 30 days.