Public Participation Procedures
6VAC35-11-50. Public comment.
A. In considering any nonemergency, nonexempt regulatory action, the agency shall afford interested persons an opportunity to (i) submit data, views, and arguments, either orally or in writing, to the agency; and (ii) be accompanied by and represented by counsel or other representative. Such opportunity to comment shall include an online public comment forum on the Town Hall.
1. To any requesting person, the agency shall provide copies of the statement of basis, purpose, substance, and issues; the economic impact analysis of the proposed or fast-track regulatory action; and the agency's response to public comments received.
2. The agency may begin crafting a regulatory action prior to or during any opportunities it provides to the public to submit comments.
B. The agency shall accept public comments in writing after the publication of a regulatory action in the Virginia Register as follows:
1. For a minimum of 30 calendar days following the publication of the notice of intended regulatory action (NOIRA).
2. For a minimum of 60 calendar days following the publication of a proposed regulation.
3. For a minimum of 30 calendar days following the publication of a reproposed regulation.
4. For a minimum of 30 calendar days following the publication of a final adopted regulation.
5. For a minimum of 30 calendar days following the publication of a fast-track regulation.
6. For a minimum of 21 calendar days following the publication of a notice of periodic review.
7. Not later than 21 calendar days following the publication of a petition for rulemaking.
C. The agency may determine if any of the comment periods listed in subsection B of this section shall be extended.
D. If the Governor finds that one or more changes with substantial impact have been made to a proposed regulation, he may require the agency to provide an additional 30 calendar days to solicit additional public comment on the changes in accordance with § 2.2-4013 C of the Code of Virginia.
E. The agency shall send a draft of the agency's summary description of public comment to all public commenters on the proposed regulation at least five days before final adoption of the regulation pursuant to § 2.2-4012 E of the Code of Virginia.