18VAC65-20-236. Requirements for students assisting with embalming.
In accordance with § 54.1-2805 of the Code of Virginia, a student who is duly enrolled in a mortuary education program in the Commonwealth and who is not registered with the board as a funeral intern may assist in embalming in a funeral service establishment provided the following requirements are met:
1. The funeral establishment holds a current, unrestricted licensed issued by the board;
2.The funeral establishment and funeral service licensee or embalmer providing student supervision meet the accreditation standards of the American Board of Funeral Service Education and the Commission on Accreditation for off-campus embalming instruction;
3. Students shall receive instruction and shall observe embalming of a dead human body prior to assisting with an embalming in a funeral service establishment and shall assist with embalming in conjunction with an embalming laboratory course;
4. A funeral service licensee or embalmer may supervise up to three students under his immediate supervision, which shall mean the supervisor is physically and continuously present in the preparation room with the students to supervise each task to be performed;
5. A funeral service establishment shall include on the form granting permission to embalm information disclosing that the establishment is a training facility for mortuary education students and that a student may be assisting the licensee with embalming; and
6. The embalming report shall include the names of students assisting with an embalming and shall be signed by the supervisor.